31/10/2016

90 minutes faster at Stort 30

Stort30 was my first ultra in 2013, and I ran it again this year (2016). This time I did it an hour and a half quicker. Who'd have thought that training actually works? Not me. But it does, and it did.

In 2013 I finished in 6 hours 11 minutes, but this year I was optimistically targetting 4h30m - failing that, 4h40m. I missed both of those goals - but only by 1 minute: my finish time was 4h41m. I finished 80th, which was an interesting experience. I have never finished in the front third of a race, and it was nice not to be out for most of the day slogging it out in the mid/back of the pack. The worst thing about being last in a race is the soggy crisps at checkpoints, and I did not see a single soggy crisp all day.

Four things I did differently this year:

  • Wasn't afraid of being out of breath (easier with more race experience, plus knowing I wasn't going to be out there all day).
  • Grabbed food and drink at the aid station then got moving (no chatting with aid station volunteers, no matter how nice they are) (they are all very nice).
  • Didn't make myself sick this time by eating too much and eating the wrong things. Again, experience.
  • Trusted my training. Working with Lindley Chambers (Challenge Running RD) for five months has made me the fittest I've ever been. Several long runs of 35km+ have given me a terrific platform.

Other things about this year's race.

  • Sense of direction: Last year I followed someone off the course down someone's driveway. This year, I followed the guy in front of me off course into a farmer's field.
  • Great: It's really satisfying to be closer to my full running potential. Lindley tells me I have a 3h20m marathon in me, and though I don't actually believe him, I'm aiming for that next.
  • Big: Stort30 is a proper race now. There were so many supporters on the course, and it made it much more fun than in 2013 when the course was deserted. I counted 8 high fives from kids - an ultra PB.
  • Weird: There was a Slavic rave in the woods near Hoddesdon at 11am. I've never seen a rave in real life, and I still haven't. I heard this one though. It was loud, and sounded like the DJ was having technical difficulties. I guess this may be typical of all raves? Though I am not sure.
  • I learnt something about myself. Passing a guy on the floor who was nursing a sore leg, I asked "are you okay?". He answered "no". I said "oh", and carried on running. I realised that I should stop asking how people are.
  • Flat: I've done the race before, and didn't really find it exciting, because there were so few unknowns. I knew I'd be able to do the race in under 5 hours, and I knew it'd be a flat trail course. I knew the weather would be fine and the views would be pretty. I knew it would be painful later on, but nothing I couldn't handle. I remember thinking "I wouldn't mind not being here". Though the feeling mostly passed when I got to the end, I would like to do more races that excite me in future - whether it's because they're new, scenic, or challenging.
Next year I'm doing both North Downs Way races by Centurion Running, and they greatly excite me.

I'll also throw in a fast marathon at some stage, and see how much I can avoid disappointing my coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment